Friday, January 27, 2012

Visit to Glengallan Homestead.

In celebration of Australia Day and Michael having the day off work, we decided to take a trip to lovely, historic Glengallan Homestead.


Building of this lovely old homestead commenced in 1867 but was never completed (being only one room deep) and eventually became practically derelict.  Even after having two million dollars spent on it received from a government grant, it is still not completely repaired (which I rather think adds to its charm).

 One of the fireplaces



The flushing toilet

The toilet originally had a beautiful blue and white delft bowl.


Cot and Graffiti :(

There are areas of the house that have been restored but I didn't take pictures of them for some reason.  I am a little bit disappointed in the pictures I did take, I am still not used to using a digital SLR as opposed to my good old film.  Maybe a belated goal for this year could be to improve my knowledge and skills.

Another interesting thing about the homestead was the mummified cat found in the chamber in the foundations, believed to be due to an old builders superstition.  Poor kitty.

In the guide book, it mentioned that occasionally volunteers as required for archaeological digs, which I have acquired a recent interest in.  However, being a listed building no digs are allowed unless they are certain there is something there to dig, but they cannot be certain there is something there without digging (It doesn't sound like they have the resources for thermal imaging).


Michael and Evangeline on the upper verandah.


Evie and I downstairs.



More farmhouse charm.


And the most miniscule bird I have ever seen.  More like a butterfly in size really.

All in all, such a lovely day.  Looking forward to going back with better camera skills and perhaps an Edwardian tea dress.  I love this 1914 afternoon dress by Sense and Sensibility Pattens.  Not quite Edwardian but a very lovely thing.

No comments: