Thursday, February 02, 2012

Evangeline's First Birthday Garden Party


TO BABY.

Oh, what shall my blue eyes go see?
Shall it be pretty Quack-Quack to-day?
Or the Peacock upon the Yew Tree?
Or the dear little white Lambs at play?
Say Baby.
For Baby is such a young Petsy,
And Baby is such a sweet Dear.
And Baby is growing quite old now—
She's just getting on for a year.
~Kate Greenaway

Evie is just getting on for a year so my thoughts have turned to organizing her first birthday party.  At first it was to be an Edwardian garden party, so that we could wear 1914 dresses by Sensibility, which led to the question of invitations.  This is when it occurred to me to have Beatrix Potter invitations which is quite sensible due to the popularity of Peter Rabbit merchandise.  However, this in turn led me to consider Kate Greenaway invitations, which has now turned the theme of the party to be Regency via the Victorian Gilded Age.  Due in no small part to the dearest depictions of childhood, maidenhood and motherhood as illustrated by the said Miss Greenaway.

There will be badminton of which we fortuitously received a set of for Christmas, perhaps a maypole and other Regency outdoor amusements (of which I am yet to research).

Evie and I will wear dresses made of swiss dot in a soft blue with mustard accents of which I have six metres on account of it being on sale for five dollars a metre.  I am thinking of making mine about knee length so that I can wear it in day to day life, maybe slightly longer at the back.  If I were to wear it as a Regency costume (not that there is much scope for that where I live) I would just layer a mustard coloured underdress.  As a beginner, I will use Mrs Chancey's Regency Gown Pattern and the matching dress, apron and pantloons for Evie.

Signing off in order to take care of the little lady.

Michelle xoxo

No comments: