Friday, November 24, 2006

I did it!

Last night I completed my last exam for Tafe! I feel a little bit giddy. Now I can go shopping for fabric and piece my grandmother's flower garden without feeling guilty that I am not studying.

The quilt is coming along slowly. I am tacking more hexagons from the new fabric I have obtained since I began.

Even though I have only just started a quilt that is likely to take a very, very long time to complete - I am already formulating ideas and buying fabric (second hand, of course) for my future quilts.

Quilt number one;

Plain Spoken made with mens plaid shirts. I know this is kind of goes against the principle of a true Plain Spoken but the idea is embedded in my head now. At first I was going to do it in retro browns, oranges, creams and yellows - but I am finding those colours are far less common than blues, which happen to be very nice. I have been conflicted over which colour to go with until I decided to make it double sided! A bit ambitious maybe, but why not.

Quilt number two;

A Victorian fan quilt to satisfy my obsession with L.M. Montgomery who made a crazy quilt in her youth (even though she grew to dislike it). I will place my fans in this fashion;



This quilt is held by the Metropolitan Museum of Art which also holds other intricate American quilts and coverlets including a hexagon quilt from the 1830s! I will use traditional Victorian colours and fabrics but the style will be less "crazy".

Quilt number three;

Will be a simple Single Irish Chain quilt in white and blue. This is sadly another L.M. Montgomery reference as this quilt is mentioned in Emily Climbs, Jane of Lantern Hill and maybe Further Chronicles of Avonlea (the blue and white patchwork in Her Father's Daughter).

I am also in love with Joyce's Double Wedding Ring quilt (and the history of it) however I think that is a bit out of my reach especially considering my previous commitments.

No comments: