Friday, December 08, 2006

Broken Camera

I took my wee little Canon Ixus 40 to be repaired today. The optical zoom hasn't been working for quite some time and even though I am thinking about getting a larger digital camera, I would still like the convenience of a handbag camera. It should be repaired before Christmas, so in the mean time I am planning on reacquainting myself with slow photography.

Even though I love the convenience of digital photography, I also love the "thingness" and traditionalism of film photography (and no chance of deleting photos). It also goes with my recent philosophy of slow living. I have starting forgetting to take my mobile phone with me and am trying to reduce my television viewing. Even though recently I have found myself bored with television, I will keep it on anyway - for background noise. A habit of twenty or so years is hard to break!

In this noisy world I am starting to savour silence and stillness and long for simpler place or time (place might be the more realistic option). Maybe I should Marry a Farmer.

However, this is all a bit fanciful and hypocritical as I love the the inspiration and knowledge that comes from the internet and quite enjoy the many conveniences that modern technology affords.

No comments: