Saturday, December 30, 2006

Last books of 2006


Lemony Snicket: The Reptile Room and The Wide Window

While I still find these charming and delightful childrens books, they really are meant to be read by children (funnily enough). I love the detail of these books and really admire the efforts of the author to inspire an interest in correct use of the English language, however I think reading one book in the series would generally be enough for an adult. I will continue reading the books in this series when I have an hour or two to spare because I would like to finish what I have started and also my use of the English language could do with a little brush up (and to discover the fate of the Baudelaire orphans).

L.M. Montgomery: Pat of Silver Bush and Mistress Pat

These two "childrens books" on the other hand, are not, I believe suitable only for children and quite a few people agree (ebay bidding for her books is fie-rce). Just when I think I cannot possibly love another one of L.M.'s heroines any more than the previous my heart is stolen all over again. I must admit it did take me a while to get into Pat but once I did I couldn't put her down, even though I didn't want her to end. Pat differs from Anne and Emily in her large loving family and lack of career ambition. Her ambition is to serve the people and home she loves. Pat's Jingle has the talent and romance of Emily's Teddy without the moods and pride and the fun and companionship of Anne's Gilbert without the teasing. Jingle is also the most loyal of any of the beaux and doesn't display any distrust despite suffering a great hurt from his absent mother. David Kirk lacks the bitterness and possesiveness of Dean Priest and Bets is a sweet chum all of her own (as all the chums are). Judy is a wonderfully developed character (are characters of L.M.'s not) and adds a wonderful element to the story.



While Dumbo feather, pass it on is not technically a book (it has been described as a mook, half magazine, half book), it is just as fulfilling and imformative as a book and I wasn't finished with it in fifteen minutes as I am with conventional magazines. Dumbo feather describe it best;

In each issue of Dumbo feather five remarkable individuals tell you their stories. Their backgrounds and dreams are as unique as they are but what unites them is their creativity, passion and integrity, and somewhere they found the courage to fly. In their own words they tell you how they discovered their passion, what inspires them, the lows as well as the highs on the journey and ultimately why they do what they do.

I initally bought this mook in an effort to be interesting but I think Dumbo feather will be making a regular appearance on my coffee table. Each story takes me a good half hour to read and I can only read story per sitting (I need some time to absorb and reflect before moving on). Every page could be framed (even the text only pages) and it is printed on 100% recycled paper using soy inks. The advertisements are few and minimalist and all in all it is just a wonderful publication. I am not in any way affiliated with Dumbo feather, I am just that impressed.

No comments: