Thursday, January 04, 2007

Life is sweet

I received my set of three Cahier Moleskines today (I only ordered them yesterday), and I am already hooked! The Cahier notebooks are the bottom of the range Moleskines, but they are a perfect introduction for me. Not too flash or expensive so I am not intimidated to use them, the perfect size and page number and having three means I can segregate my thoughts, ideas, sketches and souvenirs. I bought them from Remo and if I must be consumerist (and yes, sometimes I must) I can't think of a better place to do it.

Apart from being back at work already, I have had a lovely start to the year. On new year's day I went for a drive to Mount Tamborine. It is only half an hour away, but everything is so much more vivid and fresh up there. Some of my favorite things were; the way the red clay dyes the concrete footpaths and driveways, the agapanthas - we have them down here as well but the colour of them is so intense up there, sweet little butterflies enjoying the mass of plant life and the rolling hills and valleys stretching for miles and barely inhabited by humans.

In the evening Graeme and I took Dane to the beach for a run. The water was lukewarm despite this extremely temperate (for Queensland) summer. As lovely as this summer is, the change in climate is concerns me. It makes me feel a little helpless sometimes. The earth is such a beautiful place it makes me sad to think of the damage we are doing to it, even when we try not to.

Two nights ago I had a moonlight dance in the rain. The droplets were fat and happy, the clouds were purple and the moon was full. I would say the moon made me crazy, but it is too late for that. My soul was refreshed and my heart full of joy.

I hope I can have many more lovely times with nature this year.

I am kind of glad not many (if any) people read this because a lot of the things I write here are a little queer and don't come out quite right - maybe I could keep some things in my Moleskines only.

2 comments:

Shell said...

Haha! No, your thoughts aren't queer at all! I'm with you - I wanna spend more time outdoors this year too. I have started off by creating a new garden bed and planning a vegie patch, but I really want to go camping more often. I love the Gold Coast Hinterland and I adore Mt Tamborine - we often go up there for a bushwalk, a browse and for lunch at St Bernards. Hrmmm, just thinking about it has me craving the fresh mountain air!

michelle said...

Hooray for home grown vegies :) Camping sounds like a great idea!