Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Farewell 2006, Hello 2007


Sometime in late 2004, I got it into my head that 2006 was going to be "my year". I don't know what made this occur to me and I didn't expect to have to work for this change, I just expected things to magically go right for me. Now that 2006 has come and gone I no longer think that this past year was predestined to be a wonderful year for me - I think the positive changes that occurred had more to do with my thinking that it was going to be a great year.

While 2006 hasn't turned out exactly as I imagined (when does that ever happen) it has been a good year and I have learnt some important lessons.

I have learnt to find joy within myself rather than allowing my feelings to be dependant on other people or external circumstances.
I have learnt to be a little more wary of who I trust. My life has been fairly untouched by devious people until this year (lucky me) and I have learnt that some people are very good at hiding their true selves. However, I am not going to let this make me bitter or close my heart - I am just going to take a little more care.
I have also learnt that I can do just about anything I am put my mind to it. Completing my part time diploma with such good marks has been a much needed confidence booster. Even though I do not really want to pursue a career in my area of study, doing the course has motivated and prepared me for continual learning and self improvement.
Come on 2007!
This year I am going to be true to myself, stand up straight, keep learning and go to Canada. I am hoping that putting these hopes in writing will solidify them in my heart and allow me to enable them.

No comments: